Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Blog Post #5

 Ted Talk Reflection


As many of us know todays society is a bit internet obsessed.  I know some people who simply could not function if they didn't have their phone or computer or apple watch.  Unfortunately what a lot of people don't realize is that all your actions have consequences.  Any cookies you except will be there forever and anything you post anywhere can be saved forever.  According to the ted talk this is referred to as an electronic tattoo, which I though was a very clever name. 

While I knew we were constantly being watched in our society, I didn't realize to what extent.  I did not know that the police were collecting information on innocent people. I do agree with the solution the speaker had to have the police run by city council so that information can not be used for anything it shouldn't.  However I feel that this information should not be collected in the first place.  Unless you are doing something illegal the police should have no reason to scan your license plate and gather information on you, that they don't need. 

For the most part a lot of people know that they are being watched on the internet, they just don't care because they need to internet for different things. I just never thought about how dangerous the internet could be.  Depending on what you click on the internet, strangers could have access to any information they wanted on you, which is very scary. 

After watching these ted talks I am going to try and be much more aware when I am on the internet.  I wont be as eager to accept cookies, and will be more careful with what websites I put my information into.  I have personally seen people experience identity theft or spam phone calls that lead to threats.  I hate that this is something we have to worry about in our society, however I don't think enough people worry enough and people need to be better educated on the dangers the internet creates. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #7

 The Age of AI     AI is something that has more recently become extremely abundant in our world.  While AI may have just started having an ...