Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Blog Post #2

 Supreme Court Reflection


What is the Supreme Court?

The Supreme Court is the judicial court branch in the United States, it consists of 9 justices and takes judicial precedence over all additional courts in the nation.  The Supreme Court has the ultimate appellate jurisdiction.  In a way the Supreme Court functions as guardian and interpreter of the Constitution, since they are the final arbiter of the law.  It plays an essential role in ensuring that each branch of government recognizes the limits of its own power.

What is something new learned about the Supreme Court?

I learned a lot of new information about the Supreme Court from this video.  I am not someone who is the best with history, and I'm awful at keeping up with what happens in our law.  So while some things talked about were prior knowledge to me, a lot of it was new information.  One thing I learned was how much power the Supreme Court really has. I never knew that they had power over not just congress or states but even the president.  They tell all of those powerful people what to do about situations. I also did not know how much work each justice dedicates to the job.  While they have some help from assistants, each justice hand picks their cases, and they all meet together afterwards to vote on which cases they take to trial.  

What was surprising?

One of the most surprising things that I learned about the Supreme Court is what happens after trial.  After they finish a case they have to make an opinion writing, and this paper can take up to 4 weeks to write.  It is said to be the most time consuming part of their job, and that is just the draft.  After the draft is written is goes on to get reviewed and revised.  It is most likely not finished for months after the case.  One other thing I thought was surprising was that the justices like everyone to speak at least once before someone else speaks twice.  This is how they try to keep everything fair, and make sure everyone grasps their understanding of the case on trial.  Lastly I never knew how long it took justices to feel comfortable with there jobs and the amount of power they hold.  Most justices say it takes 3 years to feel comfortable, others say 5 years but, one said you feel comfortable "when you forget you're here." I thought this was really interesting, and never took a second to remember while they have a high up job they are still humans too.  Even though they are Supreme Court justices they still have nerves, and it would take any person time to adjust and feel comfortable in a new job. 

How did this change my view?

Since watching this video I definitely have a new found higher respect for the Supreme Court and all they do.  I kew they were a crucial part of our government system, I did not realize how much hard work and dedication each justice devotes to our country.  I really appreciate and respect the fact that before anything is done justices all shake hands.  After watching this video I now take into account historical context, and I also have a better understanding for the judicial process.  Overall I really enjoyed these videos and I now have a better grasp about the dynamics of the U.S Supreme Court.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #7

 The Age of AI     AI is something that has more recently become extremely abundant in our world.  While AI may have just started having an ...